Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Prompt #8 Practicing Your Knowledge- Bradley Robinson

As a nurse or any form of doctor, simple first aid and CPR are a required certification. Being a Kinesiology major a base course here at Michigan State is Kin 125 or First Aid and CPR. We are halfway through the semester and have taken one practical test and one exam. The practical test is when you demonstrate on a dummy CPR and other first aid skills. For me I picked it up real quick and was ready for my practical and eased through it. Others could be a different story since we do not get to practice it hands on as much as we would like. Learning hands-on can be very helpful and beneficial compared to learning from lecture.
           
Personally I learned a lot better hands-on in the lab for my class then I did from the lectures. When the professor is standing in front of a semi-large class, talking about images on a screen, it can be hard to focus and really be able to complete the task yourself. Every time we went down to lab and actually practiced CPR on the dummies I gained more confidence in my knowledge. It also really helps that throughout the hands-on learning the professor is there to instruct and guide you along. This helps a lot more than just lectures in the classroom. Another thing for me that is better than lectures, but still not as good as hands-on are the video demonstrations we watch. The videos for me really allow me to see first then try it myself.

          
 Learning is different for everyone, for me hands-on learning allows me to grasp the concept the best, but others might prefer the lectures or videos.

4 comments:

  1. It's great to acknowledge the different learning styles and which one works for you. Both are great sources of information but are there advantages or disadvantages to having too much classroom training and how would that affect someone actually applying their knowledge in the medical field?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no disadvantage to too much classroom training, the more you practice the better you will get and it will just help someone succeed in their field

      Delete
  2. This shows a really interesting point. Hands-on learning also works better for me and it's good to have a hands-on opportunity when practicing something so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hands-on is the best way to master a skill in my opinion

      Delete