Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

My Path to a DNP and Why-Bradley Robinson

My goal as a student is to complete my undergrad in kinesiology and then pursue a nursing degree. From there I plan to continue in school and earn a Doctorate in Nursing Practice or Doctorate Nursing Practitioner (DNP). In total this will take me around eight years if all goes as planned. Now some might say that is a crazy process and that there is easier ways to get a DNP and I would say those people are right. The easiest and most common way is to simply get a degree in Nursing right away and then a DNP. This would cut the schooling down by at least one to two years. My reason for not being able to go straight into nursing is that I am on the football team. Now this does not affect me now or next year, but my junior and senior years I would be unable to complete clinical trials due to my busy schedule. Clinical trials is when you go and basically intern at hospitals and doctors' offices getting hands on experience. Thus being my reason for changing my major from pre-nursing to kinesiology. 


Kinesiology is movement science, it’s the best option due to the similar classes it shares with the nursing college curriculum allowing me to learn similar information to later help me with nursing.  I will be able to complete my degree in kinesiology as an undergrad student in four years and then once I complete my football career I will be able to take an advanced nursing route that will last around one year. From there my plan is to work as a nurse in either an office or hospital while I'm also earning my doctorate degree. I'm not fully set on this decision and am also considering a route as a anesthesiologist, but that's another blog. My reasoning behind a DNP is simple, the career path options are plentiful. The different job paths can include:


·         General medical and surgical hospitals: Working in a hospital with a doctorate in nursing means playing a bigger role in influencing patient treatment plans. Many nurses conduct research and help to create new policies for better health care in the hospital.


·         Public health offices: Many doctorate-level nurses become experts in public health,
 which is a great place to put your expertise to work. You'll be able to influence 
policymakers and health officials and help craft smart, research-based solutions
 to health issues.
                                                                                                                                         
·         Research facilities: If you choose to earn your PhD in nursing, you might find work conducting research on health issues facing people today. Nurses with PhDs research causes behind modern medical issues or work to find cures for current health problems.
·         Independent practice: Starting your own practice is no easy task, but as an advanced
practice nurse holding a doctorate degree, it's entirely possible. The benefit to launching your
 own practice is that you can dictate your own hours and decide what type of treatment you want
 to deliver.
·         Physicians' offices: If launching your own practice isn't for you, but you like the idea of working in a smaller office, a doctorate in nursing makes you eligible for higher-paying management roles in another physician's office.


"Reach the Pinnacle of Your Career with a Doctorate in Nursing." Doctor of Nursing Career Paths. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Jan. 2016

With all these options I am able to commit to a major, but still have different decisions to make as I go along with my education.

No comments:

Post a Comment